Monday, July 6, 2015

Well, that really escalated - from 9/9/2014

On Friday, I came to Cleveland Clinic for the second part of my heart transplant evaluation. I was told there was a chance I would be admitted. Although feeling a general fatigue, I have been functioning fairly well as evidenced by the adventures for my 40th birthday. I walked to all my appointments on Friday, but when my right heart catheterization was complete, Dr. Mountis didn't like the looks of things and I was indeed admitted. The purpose was to draw off any extra fluid, while also adjusting my medicines to most effectively control my heart failure.

What the doctors and I have learned is that my heart is weak and tenuous. The medicines haven't worked to improve my levels to a place where the doctors are comfortable sending me home, out of concern that something as slight as a cold could throw me into a dangerous place. Yesterday, the possibility was brought up to look at having surgery to implant a heart pump (LVAD-Left Ventricular Assist Device), as a bridge to a transplant. Today it was confirmed.

My case for transplant candidacy was heard today by those who met with me and those who did not (for an objective outside view). It sounds like all were in agreement that my candidacy move forward and paperwork is in progress for just that.

So, what does this all mean? I will have open heart surgery to insert an LVAD...probably early next week. Possibly as early as late this week. I got to watch videos of how to live with the device and it will be a bit tedious, but I look forward to the improvement in how I will feel as opposed to how I do now.

Thank you for your prayers thus far, and please keep them coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment