Monday, July 6, 2015

Just when I thought... - from 9/25/2014

I guess I'm learning a bit of humility in my recovery from LVAD surgery(and not just because I need help going to the bathroom). I have found times when I'm in so much pain and feel so "blah" that I wonder if I'll ever get through this. Other times, I sense great strides and full recovery is just around the corner. The truth, as always, seems to lie in between. In other words, I can't let my highs get too high, nor the lows too low.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the triumph of a BM on Sunday, but that also came with the difficulty of vomiting when I had been feeling pretty good aside from that event. They were still finding the right balance on my pain medicine where I wasn't in severe pain, but also was clear and lucid. I definitely felt like I was a bit out of it and sleepy with minimal appetite for a few days and it seems that was the likely culprit.

So, the pain was improving and I went out of the room walking with a physical therapist on Monday. The first trip was a jaunt to the end of the hall to a sitting area where I rested briefly before returning to my room. Each successive day saw me doing more walking and challenging myself. Today, I walked down to the cardiac rehab gym and was able to get a half-mile (8 minutes) in on the recumbent bike. It wasn't without some extra pain, but I still felt good having done it. I also went walking with the physical therapist without the walker today and had very few balance problems.  Odds are I will get to leave here walking as I walked it...without assistance.  The extra pain can mostly be attributed to an ill-timed cough that I wasn't prepared to brace for the night before. It felt like everything was going to fall out of my chest and took hours to get under control. The residual pain has felt like a pulled muscle in my rib cage near the sternum, which has experienced its own trauma.

The coolest part of today was when Amy took me to the rooftop pavilion. From there I was able to see downtown Cleveland, Lake Erie and some of the buzz from the streets below.


No comments:

Post a Comment