Monday, July 6, 2015

Generosity abounds - from 10/6/2014

I'll begin with the big news in case you are not a Facebook friend of mine and don't already know: I was discharged from Cleveland Clinic yesterday (Sunday)- one month to the day after I was admitted.  I was supposed to get out on Wednesday, but my INR (the measure of the coagulation in my blood) was too thick. It took several days to get me to the correct level, but I finally made it yesterday...and barely. I had to go to a nearby lab to have it checked this morning and it went up to 2.1 from 2.0. It needs to remain between 2.0 and 3.0 in order for me to be therapeutic. So, I do have to be careful that it doesn't slip back under, so I hope to get a little higher in the range to avoid another possible hospitalization. It was explained to me that one of the biggest concerns for complication with an LVAD (heart pump) is the development of clots inside the machine which can lead to some major problems. So in spite of my disappointment at not being discharged, I was certainly understanding that they were absolutely looking out for my best interests.



Now onto other things. Throughout this journey, I have been struck by the incredible generosity of so many people. I have mentioned all the prayers being said on my behalf, and it still boggles my mind that so many complete strangers continue to pray for me as much as this who know me best. I also mentioned the great care I received during my month in the hospital. This absolutely goes beyond the doctors and nurses. By the time I left, I had three different people who came to clean my room give me a get well card. The last cleaning woman made a point to say every time she saw me that she was praying for me. I find it humbling and very moving that someone who could easier just do her job and move on to the next person to collect her paycheck. Still, it is incredibly heartwarming that they understand that it's not just a job, but that they can make a bright difference for people who are experiencing a tremendously difficult time.

Yes, there have been some instances of financial generosity, and believe me, I have been moved to tears at this generosity that has been shown to me.  Although my health insurance is very, very good, it does not eliminate certain co-pays, including prescriptions, the number of which which has increased dramatically having been discharged. 

My insurance does include travel reimbursement to cover, gas and other travel expenses, food and lodging. However, that is a limited amount of money, which could easily be exhausted. However, because of the generosity of a family my wife Amy knows in the Cleveland area, we have not had to stay at hotels as much. Amy slept in my hospital room on a number of occasions, but that was not possible during the time I was in ICU. It was because of this family's generosity, that she had a place to stay at no cost.  It is also because of this family's generosity that I am now able to rest and recuperate in a home setting, rather than a hotel room. I can't tell you how much of a positive difference this makes for me. 

I could go on and on about the different examples of generosity I have been shown. And there really is now way to thank everyone for the various ways they have helped me along this journey. Please, do know that I deeply appreciate all that has been shown to me and will continue. And, please do continue to pray for me. That is the best generosity of all. And I am so pleased that these prayers are working as I get a little stronger each day.

P.S. I had an interesting experience when we went to the grocery store after my discharge. I am not strong enough yet to walk the grocery, even if I were pushing a cart, so I was relegated to driving one of those carts you see in grocery stores. Let me tell, you, it is a bit humiliating and also difficult to navigate a busy grocery store in one of these, so please be kind to those who have to use these.

No comments:

Post a Comment