Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I'm doing a 5k on August 8!

When it comes to races, my wife Amy likes to say she's "not fast, but not last."  I may put that to the test next weekend at the 2015 LifeBanc Gift of Life Walk & Run.  I have decided that I am going to attempt to participate in this event instead of just watching as I did in a similar event in Columbus that Amy ran a few weeks back.  Make no mistake, we will be walking this one (insert my usual disclaimer that I will indeed run if there is a snake or a bear in the vicinity).

Since I was brought out of atrial fibrillation a couple of weeks ago, I was eager to get back into a better exercise routine than I was in during the four months or so that I was waiting for my heart rhythm to be brought back to normal.  Unfortunately, although there was a noticeable increase in my stamina and ability to comfortably exercise, it was a far cry from where I was in January and February.

I have been able to increase my speed and duration quite a bit on the exercise recumbent bike.  On the lowest resistance, I was able to do five miles in a little over a half hour.  My last crack at the bike saw me hit 11 miles in just over an hour.

Amy and I have been walking along part of the bike trail that runs through Dayton.  Unfortunately, I did not notice a great deal of difference in the distance I could go without taking breaks along the way.  Although I did feel a bit better.  Today, I went to the exercise room at our apartment complex to see where I was at on the treadmill.  Unfortunately, I found it startling how much slower I was able to handle  and how often I had to take a break as opposed to back in February.  I managed to do about half of a 5k, but my speed was down to about 2.6 mph where I had gotten to an average of about 3.3 mph.

I will continue to "train" in advance of this 5k and hope to lessen the number of breaks I need to take and increase my duration.  I'd like to at least get one actual 5k in prior to the event.  I really don't know what the course will be like, but I am hopeful for a flat course.

Although this event is a fundraiser for LifeBanc in Cleveland (an organization that promotes organ donation in the Cleveland area) if you would like to make a donation to my HelpHOPELive campaign, it would be appreciated as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment