Saturday, April 18, 2015

HelpHOPELive



Since I was added to the list of patients in need of a heart transplant, and had my Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) placed, life was changed forever.  It's hard to believe it's been 7 months already!  The heart pump has been been immensely important in improving my quality of life and giving me more time to be able to await a life-saving donor heart.  As you might imagine, the expense of this is quite high and I'm not even sure I fully grasp what lies ahead in terms of the costs.

As a result of my weakened heart, I was forced to leave my job at Glenmary Home Missioners, which has caused two additional burdens.  First is my income.  Although I have qualified and been approved to receive disability pay, it is significantly less than I was making while I was working.  Second, I am on a different insurance plan which does not cover as great a portion of the medical and travel related expenses I am incurring as a result of my transplant related needs.

After discussing our financial situation with our social worker at the Cleveland Clinic, we decided it was best to start a fundraising campaign.  We decided to use m.HelpHOPELive.org and thus far we have been very pleased.  The way it works is that donations can be made in my honor to them and they keep the money in a regional fund (Great Lakes Heart Transplant Fund).  Aside from the very small percentage that is kept by them for operating costs (4% for cash/check donations and 7% for credit card donations), all of the money donated in my honor is available only to me.  If you send a check, you must put in honor of Patrick McEntee on the memo line of your check.  Your donation to HelpHOPELive in my honor does two things.  First, it makes it so Amy and I do not have to pay taxes on donations that people make. Second, and more importantly for you, it allows your contribution to be tax deductible since HelpHOPELive is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.  One other thing to consider is if your employer will match your donation to HelpHOPELive in my honor.

Prayer truly is the greatest support we can receive at this time and always.  However, if you are able to help out in other ways, we would be most appreciative.  Here is a link to my donation page https://m.helphopelive.org/campaign/8748 where you can make a contribution right on the site.  You can also go to the main HelpHOPELive site and search for my name (Patrick McEntee OH/Heart).  

It's always difficult for me to ask for help in such a way, but this is something we need.  I know many of you have expressed a desire to help in any way possible, so I am grateful to have your to help at this time.  As always, your prayers are most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment