Monday, February 1, 2016

End of January update.

Last year, I sort of shied away from making resolutions because of the fact I was waiting for a heart transplant.  It's not as if I intended to sit on my butt all day and wait for the call.  I didn't do that (most of the time anyway).  I have tried to remain determined to live my life to the fullest extent I am able given my limitations.  My wife Amy is good ally to keep gently (mostly) nudging me forward.

So, since 2015 came and went without a new heart for me, I decided there really is no reason to avoid making plans or setting goals.  Lord knows, I've not come through on numerous resolutions in the past.  However, I didn't want to set vague goals, or cliche goals.  I wanted them to be concrete.  If I've learned anything from my jobs over the years, when you go to your evaluation, make sure the goals you set are measurable.

So, I set two concrete, measurable goals for the year 2016.  First, I intend to pedal 2016 miles on a bike.  Most of these miles will be on our recumbent bike at home, but any bike will do.  Second, I will read 16 books in this calendar year.  I mentioned these goals in my last post, so consider this a monthly report on how I am doing.

Through January 1, I had completed 169 miles on the bike which puts me on pace for about 1995 miles.  Slightly off the pace, but not too bad.  On the book side, I have completed Seabiscuit, Heart and am currently close to finishing The Real McCoy, so I am fairly well ahead of the pace on that one.  It helps that with the recumbent bike, I am easily able to read while I ride.  Killing two birds with one stone is nice.

In addition to these goals, I am keeping myself busy in other ways.  My Dad asked me to help him with his genealogy project and so I have been going down to his house weekly to work with him for a few hours on that.  This has involved scanning and labeling old family photos, some that are well over a hundred years old.  As he said, "I'll be dead and you kids won't know who in the hell these people are."  The other big project is tracing our family's lineage to St. Marianne Cope.  There is some connection between our family and hers, but thus far, we have been unable to find it.  It appears it resides in the 1600's or there abouts.

I have also been continuing to volunteer with local organ and tissue donation centers.  Currently, I have done office work and speaking to people at various events at a booth.  I hope to perhaps add speaking to school groups down the road.

Amy and her sister Emily are entering several 5k and 10k races in the coming year.  Some of those will be for organ transplant awareness.  I intend to participate in some of those in particular.  Since i have been out of Atrial Fibrillation, I feel as though I am certainly capable of walking some of these.

As always, thank you for all your prayer and support.  Please continue your prayers for us and my future donor.

No comments:

Post a Comment